Shared hosting is web hosting where a main server’s resources are divided and used by multiple websites for a small rate. If your business is small and you just created a website to interact with your customers, then shared hosting will be a good place to start.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Shared hosting is without a doubt the cheapest form of web hosting. Prices can range between 3$-10$.
- Most companies that offer hosting services have multiple levels of shared hosting. So you can upgrade your plan to suit your needs.
- Shared hosting mostly comes with a built-in cPanel which makes it easy to manage your site.
- Your hosting package will usually include technical maintenance on your end of the server so you can focus on growing your business.
However, shared hosting has some drawbacks.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
- The loading time can be a lot longer than a dedicated server because it can be overburdened by other sites that are sharing the server.
- As your business grows and you start to get more and more traffic on your website you’ll see that your site starts to perform much worse.
- Other sites that are sharing your server could pose a risk to your site although this is very rare.
- There’s a lack of customization options to get the peak performance from your website.